Lovech is a province in central Bulgaria.
|Lovech region shown within Bulgaria.
|The Glozhene Monastery near Teteven.
|Lovech's ruined fortress.
Its main city is Lovech, and other municipalities are:
Lovech is famous for its Covered bridge built by the self-taught
master-builder known as Kolyu Ficheto.
Lovech has a well preserved
medieval fortress which played a key role in the rebellion
of the brothers Asen and Petar in 1186 which led to the establishment
of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom.
Also during the battle for
independence from the Ottoman rule, the national hero Vasil
Levski, a freedom fighter, centered his revolutionary organisation
(BRCC) in Lovech. Moreover - he was captured by the Turks
near a Lovech village, called Kakrina. A large stone monument
of Vasil Levski is built right next to the medieval fortress.
There is also a museum devoted to Levski and the BRCC. It
is situated in Varosha - an area which has preserved the architecture
and atmosphere of the time of the Bulgarian national revival.
Many of the houses there are connected in some way with Levski
and his revolutionary activity.
In more recent times, Lovech
was the place where modern foreign language education in Bulgaria
started. Taking over from the American college established
there in the late 19th century (1881), the first foreign language
school in Bulgaria was set up in Lovech in 1950. Initially
three languages were taught in this school - English, French
and German. However soon after that the teaching of English
and French was moved to Sofia and Varna respectively, founding
the first language schools in these cities - 1st English Language
School in Sofia in 1954 and the French Language School in
Varna in 1958. Since for the period 1959-1984 German was the
only language taught, the school in Lovech was informally
known as The German School .